Will Todd is an independent lawyer who provides cross-border tax and estate planning advice to individuals and families from his downtown Vancouver office. Will provides tax and estate planning solutions for Canadian-resident U.S. citizens and their family members and Canadians owning or acquiring U.S. real property, among others with exposure to Canadian and US taxation. For more than a decade, Will has focused his legal practice on helping individuals and families with wills, trusts and other structures (including planned giving), and prior to that he worked with major law firms in Boston and Toronto. Will is a member of the bar in British Columbia and Ontario, and is licensed to practice law in Massachusetts and New York.
Will provides advice and lectures on a wide range of cross-border topics, including:
- how wills, trusts, partnerships and companies are used to address exposure to U.S. gift, estate and generation-skipping taxes,
- Canadian laws applicable to alter ego, spousal and non-resident trusts,
- how the rules of both Canada and the US interact for the taxation of principal residences and other assets,
- whether clients are subject to U.S. tax reporting and alternatives for becoming compliant with those obligations, and
- the application of the Canada-U.S. Tax Convention
Will’s legal practice ranges from consulting with clients and their advisors to determine if their existing planning may be headed toward unexpected pitfalls or could be enhanced to achieve missed opportunities, to gathering client information and priorities to analyze, structure, draft and implement flexible estate planning documents to address tax exposure, while moderating the complexity and unpredictability of tax and estate planning that comprehends both sides of the Canada-U.S. border.
Contact Will Todd, Lawyer at 604.428.WILL / 855.688.WILL